NWC SSP 2011: Partnered with HOPE International

NWC SSP 2011
HOPE International

Friday, March 11, 2011

Heart Breakers - By Laura Stralow


Yesterday we got to spend the day in one of the communities outside of La Romana.  We went to a bank meeting that was held outside in the community.  I was sitting in the back row with Kristen and Tommy and during the meeting tons of the children surrounded us.  They kept asking us for money and also for anything that we were wearing.  It broke my heart because they could have my headband because  I have plenty of them but so we don't instill the idea that Gringos will leave things with them we had to say no.  It is hard to see how little the people of the these communities have when we have so much compared to them.  At the same time though they are some of the most compassionate people I have ever met.  I know we all have stories like this from time here already and will continue to have stories over the next couple of days while we are here.  To leave you on a happier note yesterday in the same community I was talking to one of the little boys from a distance. I said Hola and motion for him to come over and  try to talk to him so more.  Instead he ran and jumped into my arms and gave me one of  the biggest hugs ever.  We then played with his toy car in the school while he was waiting to color in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment